Thursday, February 14, 2013

WearYOBaby: Moby Wrap Review

I am all about getting out of the house, and the easiest way to do that is to wear your baby.


I knew before I had B that I'd want to wear him, so I picked up a Moby before he was born and practiced wrapping it. I know many people shy away from wraps because they look complicated to use, but I found that after doing it just twice I was able to wrap it once B came along without peeking at the instructions. If I can do it, you can too. Trust me.

I was desperate to start wearing B in the Moby around the house as soon as we got home, but waited until he was about two weeks old because I didn't want to bust open my C-section incision. Let me tell you something about my Moby: It was love at first wrap. Not only does it allow us to get some really great skin-to-skin action going on when I'm doing thing around the house (and by "doing things" I mean sitting around searching Zulily and watching movies,) but B absolutely loves being cuddled up close, and this is the best way to do it.

The Moby is a stretchy wrap, meaning the fabric has some give. The best advice I got about tying it was to tie it "ten minutes too tight"--tie it so it feels too tight at first, because it will loosen up a bit after about ten minutes. Stretchy wraps are great for newborns because they swaddle them up nice and tight. Moby says you can use the wrap until your little one weighs 35 pounds, but I'm pretty sure I'll be reaching for my woven wraps almost exclusively once B is that big.

One thing I did find was that B struggled a bit at first when I wore him using the newborn hold. He became much easier to put in the wrap once I started wearing him with his legs out. Either way, though, he typically falls asleep and stays asleep in the Moby for as long as I wear him. This is pretty awesome, because I don't have to fear that he'll start screaming in the middle of a crowded place and send me running out the door in shame.

So far, I've worn B out in the Moby to the mall, several restaurants, new moms group, and the movie theatre. We haven't had a screaming fit yet, so I'd say it's been a success. The best thing about the Moby is that you can pre-tie it at home before you leave, and then slip baby into it in the back seat of the car when you reach your destination. This is absolutely necessary for us right now since we're in the middle of a Chicago winter--try to tie your Moby in the parking lot and you'll end up with slush-soaked tails.

Of course, the Moby isn't the only stretchy wrap on the market. I just got my Lucky Baby stretchy wrap in the mail, so I'll do a write-up of that next. (Thankyouverymuch Zulily for your impossible-to-ignore deals.)

Linkies:
Do you wear your baby? What's your favorite wrap? Any tips for new babywearers?

No comments:

Post a Comment