Friday, February 15, 2013

FeedYOBaby In Public! Boob Nursing Tops


As a first-time mom I was nervous about nursing B in public. Would I be comfortable? Would people stare? Would I accidentally flash some boob the exact moment that a current student happens to walk by? When we got home from the hospital with B I realized I needed some nursing tops STAT, so I went online and bought a handful of what I thought would be decent nursing tops.

Wrong.

First of all, they were all of the pull-down-from-the-neck variety, which a) exposes the entire upper chest, and b) shows a bit too much cleavage even when not nursing for a busty woman like myself. They also became misshapen and hangy after a couple washes, which meant I was going to have to keep on buying new tops if I wanted to look like I wasn't wearing a trash bag draped over my shoulders.

Enter Boob nursing tops.

The first day of my new moms group I noticed a fellow new mom nursing her daughter without exposing one bit of skin. At first I thought that maybe her baby was just sleeping in a nursing position, but no! She was nursing yet mom's top remained covered. Now, I know we have the right to nurse in public, and I'm proud to nurse in public, but I'm a bit modest, okay?

My fellow new mom was wearing a Boob nursing top, and I had to have one. Instead of pulling down from the neck, many Boob tops have an overlap at the empire line so you can just lift up the fabric on your boob line and latch baby on without exposing a thing. Genius, right?

My glee at finding the holy grail of nursing tops was squashed when I saw the price tag. A long-sleeve top will put you back around $70, and a short sleeve around $60. I stared at those beautiful nursing tops in sadness for about ten seconds before I thought, "The hell with it! I deserve to be comfortable nursing, and I'm going to buy these outrageously expensive tops anyway. I dare DH to question this rash decision."

So I did.

They're wonderful. They're perfect for nursing BYOBaby moms who want to be out with baby but who aren't comfortable baring it all. I bought a long-sleeve and a short sleeve that day, and I love them both. They're machine washable, but line dried. I've washed them both several times and they haven't lost their shape or color yet. The fabric is nice and soft, and the best part is that I feel really good in them. They're cut to flatter, and nursing in them is so easy and discreet that people might not even notice that you're nursing at all.

I've since scoured the Internet to find deals on more Boob tops. I've been lucky with a few sites that are trying to sell off their winter inventory before spring comes in. My favorite so far has been the B-Warmer Hoodie, which is the coziest thing I wear nowadays. Sizing for different tops of the same style is consistent, but different styles fit differently: The knit tops run larger than all of the others, and the short sleeved tee runs larger than everything but the knit tops.

I'm surprised more companies aren't cutting their nursing tops this way. So far I found a Canadian company called Momzelle that has similar tops, as well as Singapore-based Milky Way. Of course, I had to order a top or two from each for comparison's sake. You know, for the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment