Saturday, March 2, 2013

NursingPillow.com Review

If you're a new mom and you've signed up for anything mommyish online you've likely seen ads for a FREE NURSING PILLOW! from Nursingpillow.com. You might wonder who the suckers are that fall for these deals. Well, guess who? Meeeeeeee!


Here's how it happened: I already owned a Boppy Pillow, which I love. I wanted another nursing pillow to keep in the car. I thought I'd find something smaller or maybe I'd even spring for a travel nursing pillow. Because I am a mom on the go and all.

And then I saw the ad for a free nursing pillow. ($40 value!) I went to the website, which is spare but decent. The pillows looked good enough in the photos, and I figured all I had to lose was the cost of shipping. ($12, to be exact.) So I figured why not? I upgraded to the minky pillow, so for a total of $17 I placed an order for one of these mysterious nursing pillows.

The pillow arrived about two weeks after I ordered it in a pretty small box. I figured that meant it would be good for my travel pillow, right? Smallish is good for travel.

Here's the deal: This is a cheap pillow. Obviously. The minky fabric is soft but definitely inexpensive, and the pillow itself is much thinner than my Boppy pillow. The inner seam of the pillow is inexpertly sewn together. I'm just going to tell myself it was a handmade gift from a dear, unskilled niece. That gives it a certain charm.

These things are not tragedies, and alone I would say that the pillow is almost worth it for the relatively small price tag. But there's more: The Nursingpillow.com pillow has one major flaw:

It does not have a removable cover. Spot cleaning a throw pillow, for example, isn't such a big deal because how dirty is a throw pillow going to get? But a nursing pillow is a different story entirely, I mean it's a nursing pillow for crying out loud! That thing is going to have breastmilk, spit up, and urine spilled on it within a week.

And, I could be nitpicking here, but see those moms in the picture from the website? Those gorgeous, put-together, bleached-teeth smiley moms? I kind of hate them. I mean, who are the women that look that good while caring for an infant?

Bottom line: If you have an extra $17 lying around and you're one of those I won't believe it until I see it for myself people, go for it. Buy one of these pillows. But don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment